Saturday, February 2, 2008

Our boy has a set of lungs!

So Chou-chou has a voice that "carries." This is a nice way of putting that he can scream louder than any of the other babies we've met. This is not in any way a new observation, but one that I first realized at baby group when Chou-chou was just three weeks old. All of the other babies, it seemed, had cute little newborn cries that, even when the baby was obviously distressed, lacked the ear piercing, attention-getting quality that Chou-chou's has had since day one. I'd like to think that both Chou-chou's parents (ahem) have fairly normal voices, so I'm not sure who to attribute this monster voice to... and I'm pretty sure we're not making this up. We've had some looks from other parents. Not disapproving, not really entirely shocked, but maybe just a bit strained? Like "wow, what a sweet baby- can you turn his screamer off?" So anyway, as Chou-chou's vocalizations mature and grow to include all sorts of squeals, yells, full-bellied laughs and various other utterances, this loud-voice he's got has become quite interesting. It's definitely more than just a loud cry- he has a commanding voice! I guess his Uncle Casey, my brother, has a loud voice (sorry Case), which would mean that I have passed this trait on. Or maybe it's just Chou-chou. All we can hope is that he doesn't turn out to be tone deaf and that he puts his strong voice to good use when he's older. Maybe he'll be a leader. Whatever he decides to make of his life, I know people will listen to him!

No comments: